Re: Scheduling/nfs? problem with 2.2.0-pre7

Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 07:47:39 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> x11amp turns on a real-time scheduling mode when run as root, so that
> the music doesn't skip no matter what the computer load. Of course, it
> can do nothing about I/O load, but it reads ahead a little to make up
> for that.

Hi Jamie,

Along these same lines, I was using vmstat to watch vm performance
yesterday with both it and the shell for that console set realtime,
and noticed a large delay when swapping starts. I also noticed that
the shell was being swapped out. Should realtime tasks be exempt
from being swapped out? It seems to me that they should, else it
may take too long for them to run.

-Mike