Re: Building .config into kernel

Roger Gammans (rgammans@computer-surgery.co.uk)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:46:31 +0000

In article <Pine.LNX.4.09.9.9901141935530.30431-100000@twinlark.arctic.o
rg>, Jauder Ho <jauderho@carumba.com> writes
>> To see how big .config might be in the kernel, I stripped blanks, # prefixed
>> lines, and CONFIG_, and it came to 739 bytes, or 397 gzipped.
>>
>That seems like too much work. Something like
>
>twinlark%jauderho% grep "CONFIG_.*=" /usr/src/linux/.config | sed -e 's/=.*//'
>
>should work just fine.

No, this gives you the config of the last kernel you built, Not the
config of the currently running kernel.

If you use on machine to build kernel for many others (say your
enterprise servers and routers) I would expect:-
1) The machines to have differing configs.
2) You to need to be able to find the config of any machine.

Currently I place the .configs in my home dir under he machine name, as
a solution, so the problem is not huge.

The proposed scheme has the advantage the correct config is kept with
the kernel it refers to, but with the time to develop and kernel bloat
disadvantages which are not insignificant.

TBH the arguments, to me at least, aren't clear cut either way and the
telling point is that I don't know whether I'd use it. Though I'd have
liked a similar option in samba last week when I had problems with it
and couldn't remember which compile options it had been built with.
(And know I couldn't just check the Makefile, since I deleted the source
in favour of a later version)

TTFN

--
Roger Gammans