Re: Scheduling/nfs? problem with 2.2.0-pre7

Sat, 16 Jan 1999 11:03:03 +0000

On Sat, Jan 16, 1999 at 07:47:39AM +0100, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> Along these same lines, I was using vmstat to watch vm performance
> yesterday with both it and the shell for that console set realtime,
> and noticed a large delay when swapping starts. I also noticed that
> the shell was being swapped out. Should realtime tasks be exempt
> from being swapped out? It seems to me that they should, else it
> may take too long for them to run.

That's a separate issue. A process can use mlock() or mlockall() to
prevent itself being swapped out, if it wants to.

In general, only part of a realtime process would want to be locked.
(The part that is actually touched by the real time code).

Anyway, my system wasn't swapping. (Maybe it was doing lots of that
minor fault stuff though; I didn't check).

-- Jamie