Re: [RFC] What should we do with FAT inode numbers?

Chris Wedgwood (cw@ix.net.nz)
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 09:13:52 +1300

On Sat, Jan 16, 1999 at 12:45:10PM -0700, Colin Plumb wrote:

> Well, the usual Unix guarantee is that for the lifetime of a single
> file, (device,inode) uniquely identifies it.

[...]

> Frankly, it's a hard problem. In VFAT, don't directory entries get
> shuffled when they're renamed, in case the new long name requires
> more slots to store than are available at the old location?

I wrote some backup software that does hard-link detection,
incremental updates (ie. detection of append files such as logs), and
a whole bunch of other stuff.

It also detects the same file when they are not hard-linked, by
making sha1 checksums of the files (obviously not every time).

When I extended this to work for other file-systems, I had to modify
the code forgo any `shortcuts' that persistent inode numbers allow...
this means I need knowledge of various file-systems properties.

Anyhow, the point is I think this is a user-space problem. Software
which blindly assumes too much based upon inode number will break
under certain circumstances... indeed, this does include qmail,
sendmail and various other `mission' critical applications, but here
the admins just have to have a clue....

-cw