Re: 2.2.0-pre8: lock up under high swap and SCSI-IO load

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 02:46:13 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Steffen Zahn wrote:

> After some time all the X applications running would no longer respond,
> but I could still move the mouse and switch to a textmode-console.

I guess it's been the shared-mapping swapout deadlock we just know about.
Linus is just working for the fix. If you can reproduce try my down()
watchdog oopser patch I posted the last week in this list. It will produce
an Oops after 20 sec of deadlock. The Oops will tell us if the deadlock
you had is the one we just know about.

Andrea Arcangeli