Re: C++ in kernel (was Re: exception in a device driver)

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 21:39:20 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

> I haven't been crazy with most of the changes in the new standard of C++
> either, actually I oppose many of them, but just because they are there
> doesn't mean I'll be forced to use them either.

Sorry, but it means that standard C++ is fundamentally broken. *If* one
has to avoid some features at any cost it means that you are advocating
usage of language different from C++. It may be a subset of C++, but it is
*not* C++ per se. Feel free to hack up a compiler for that language and
we'll have something to discuss. Personally I think that exceptions are
broken by design and templates are bad parody on real functional
languages. If you happen to have a free compiler of Clean or Miranda (free
to hack it) I'll be glad to play with *that*. But that means writing from
scratch (with pieces on C for additional primitive combinators; they may
be taken from existing kernel).