Re: Lance driver sick with 2.2.0-prex changes

Mark-Andre Hopf (hopf@informatik.uni-rostock.de)
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 15:52:02 +0100 (MET)

Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote

> On Sat, Jan 16, 1999 at 07:56:54PM +0100, Mark-Andre Hopf wrote:
> > The behaviour of the pcnet32.c driver (same computer) is even worse. When
> > eth0 and a PPP connection or `x11perf -a' is running the kernel log is
> > filled with
> >
> > Jan 15 19:34:34 nomad kernel: eth0: transmit timed out, status 0063, resetting.
>
> Right now I have no idea how this can happen. It means the transmitters is
> stopped and the receiver still running. This shouldn't happen as the driver
> always enables both transmitter and receiver. My theory is, that there is
> a situation, where the chip turns of the transmitter, because of too many
> failures (or whatever). But this isn't documented anywhere:-( and there is
> no interrupt, when it happens. I have a patch, which checks in xmit_start()
> whether the transmitter is still running and reinits the chip, if not. It
> isn't a pretty workaround, but it seems to work (only tested by one person).

Do you like another one (me) testing this patch?
Is there a way to determine WHY the transmit wasn't done within 50 ticks?
I've seen that more but not all transmissions succeed when i set the timeout
to 500 ticks. (This was during kernel 2.1.105, i haven't checked the timeout
with the pre kernels.)

As i understand it, the only difference between pcnet32.c and lance.c is
the 32bit access. But i've seen that lance.c reports `no DMA needed' during
and boot and it shows no problems when i simultaneously serve ppp0 and eth0.
Does this `no DMA needed' mean anything?

Maybe it's the same problem as with the lance.c driver when it reports
"Tx FIFO error! Status a2e2.".
Alan Cox said

> That means that the device is having problems because it is being held off
> the bus for too long.

Bye,
Mark