Re: How about we just let all inode numbers on FAT be zero?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 12:49:38 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, G. Allen Morris III wrote:

> But would break on a server crash. knfsd uses inodes if it can't
> find the dentry.

Yes. However, at that point I'm more than happy to say that "oh, f*ck,
exporting vfat doesn't survive a server crash"

The reason? At that point it's a conceptual issue. We have other
filesystems that will act the same (smbfs comes to mind), where the inode
number simply isn't "unique enough" to be used as a NFS server
re-population mechanism. And they may break if/when a dentry is dropped
for some other reason even without a crash

I'd argue that exporting filesystems like that over NFS is a thing that
should work, but you shouldn't consider them to be something you have to
get all the details 100% right for. vfat/smbfs have other "non-unix"
behaviour anyway, let's not worry about cornercases.

Linus