Re: wireless device driver support question.

Erik Walthinsen (omega@cse.ogi.edu)
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 19:19:58 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> Has anyone looked at, or is working on a driver for the diamond
> multimedia homefree wireless nic, or alternativly the proxim symphny
> series of wireless products.
WebGear (www.webgear.com) makes a product called the Aviator. It's a
parallel port device designed for low-traffic home wireless networking.
Uses the 900MHz ISM band, transmits at ~350Kbps (i.e. not blazingly fast,
but sufficient). I'm writing the driver for it (in fact, I was about to
stick my head back into the interrupt code again when I saw this message),
and as soon as it's ready I'll let everyone know.

They're available in a kit with 2 Aviators, 1 PnP parallel-port card
(haven't gotten it to work in Linux yet, may need Windoze
initialization/probe), Windoze95 drivers (98 and NT soon if not now, I
hear), and proxy software (I think it does ipmasq, not sure, never used it
<g>). This kit costs $170 "MSRP". Additional Aviators are something like
$75 each. This is slightly cheaper than HomeFree, with the advantage of a
(close to working) driver.

> I use wavelan gear at work with linux laptops but current 802.11 gear
> (lucent , dec, breezecom) is a bit expensive for the house.
On that front, I just got the WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11 PCMCIA cards working
under Linux as well. The driver was written initially by a Lucent coder,
then converted to PCMCIA by someone else. It's currently half-closed
(hcf.o and hcfio.o must be linked against wvlan_cs.c), but within two
weeks we'll have the sources for everything and the driver can be cleaned
up and finished (i.e. add all the necessary config options and so on). In
fact, I'm using a pair of them right now.

Hrm, maybe that's odd, but I'm using one wireless setup to write drivers
for another. Heh. Oh, and my Internet connection is (half) wireless,
too.

TTYL,
Omega

Erik Walthinsen <omega@cse.ogi.edu> - Staff Programmer @ OGI