Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: *** next draft - press release ***

Johan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Myr=E9en?= (johan.myreen@setec.fi)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:43:32 +0000

Alan Cox wrote:

> > * Poor ISA PnP support. It's difficult to support well at all, but
> > the fact that it's currently done by a user-land tool that is
> > independent of kernel resource allocations is a serious problem.

> No thats not the problem really. The problem is that isapnp has a user
> interface flaw (it hasnt got one basically). If you had a nice Gnome/KDE/whatever
> GUI front end to isapnp you wouldnt even have noticed it wasnt in the kernel.

> Its a user-interface problem.

No interface at all is the best user interface. If there is no
user interface, there's nothing for the user to get intimidated
by, and nothing for the user to screw up.

Why should there be a user interface for allocating resources like
IRQs, I/O port and memory addresses, if there is a mechanism for
doing so automatically? Why bug the user with the mechanical task
of conveying information generated in one place (ISAPNP) to another
place (the driver module parameters)?

Legacy ISA cards are a different matter, of course.

Johan Myréen
jem@iki.fi