Re: *** draft 3 - press release ***

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:31:32 -0500 (EST)

Harvey J. Stein writes:
> Michael Elizabeth Chastain <mec@shout.net> writes:
>
>> It needs quotes from Linus.
>> It needs quotes from Linux vendors.
>> It needs quotes from satisfied users.
>
> How about this quote:
>
> Linux represents a best-of-breed UNIX, that is trusted in
> mission critical applications, and - due to it's open source
> code - has a long term credibility which exceeds many other
> competitive OS's.
>
> - Microsoft's "Linux OS Competitive Analysis"

I had that idea too, but grabbed a different quote. I'm not sure
if it is better or worse, but at least it avoids "UNIX". Besides
being a dead legacy operating system, UNIX is a trademark licenced
exclusively through The Open Group -- or whatever.

For those wondering if this is off-topic or not: this thread does
belong here but we should try not to annoy people. Please leave
the subject line as it is (with the "3") so that people who are
not interested can filter this out.

Special thanks to Michael K. Johnson for fixing that pathetic
last paragraph. There were many other fixes too.

LINUX KERNEL 2.2
The Internet, February XX, 1999

Today the software development team led by Linus Torvalds releases a
major update to the Linux operating system. The new release brings
enterprise scalability, broad support for newer hardware, and a large
collection of low-level features. Highlights include:

* Advanced network routing and WAN support, which gives Linux the
ability to replace many expensive proprietary network devices.
Users can take control of their intranet with priority traffic,
usage limits, firewalls, accounting, and virtual private networks.

* Strong 256-bit encryption, available as an add-on component
uncompromised by US export restrictions. Linux protects both
network infrastructure and hard disk storage, including swap space.

* Enterprise-level network filesystem support, complete with data
replication for performance, mobility, and extreme reliability.
File server destruction need not and should not stop business.

* Video conferencing and recording support, TV tuner support,
enhanced audio support, and other exciting multimedia enhancements.

* Support for a wider variety of parallel port devices including
disk drives, tape drives, and other easy-to-use external devices.

* Greater performance than the already legendary linux 2.0, especially while
under heavy load or while running on computers with multiple processors.

* Easy access to documents stored on NTFS-format hard disks.
This NT compatability support provides an upgrade path to Linux.

As of now, technical users can download this update from the Internet.
Business users will get a fully supported copy when Linux vendors
ship complete integrated systems containing the update on easy-to-use
CD-ROM distributions.

BACKGROUND

Linux is a secure network operating system for demanding users.
It interoperates well with a wide variety of other systems.
Linux takes advantage of modern PC and PowerMac hardware and gives
new life to older 486-based computers. With Euro support and
Y2K compliance, Linux is ready for the next millennium.

Linux support is widely available via both traditional contracts
and cost-effective Internet groups. Linux is provided under an
unlimited-use license that lets users make in-house customizations
to the system itself. Linux makes over 25 percent of all web servers
work, more than any other operating system. Initial estimates suggest
that Linux has 20 million users worldwide.

According to Cohen and Valloppillil of Microsoft, Linux "poses a direct,
short-term revenue and platform threat to Microsoft, particularly in
server space. Additionally, the intrinsic parallelism and free idea
exchange [of Linux] has benefits that are not replicable with our
current licensing model." They also note that "Linux has been deployed
in mission critical, commercial environments with an excellent pool of
public testimonials."

Linus Torvalds, native to Finland, lives with his family in the
Silicon Valley. He and his Linux development team created
and maintain Linux as a labor of love. Their devotion to software
quality has created a world-class operating system adopted by
large enterprises, small businesses, governments, educational
institutions, and home users alike.

For more information, see www.Linux.ORG (please note the ".org"),
www.uk.Linux.ORG and www.LinuxResources.com.

Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds. PowerMac is a trademark of
Apple Computer, Inc. NT is a trademark of Northern Telecom Limited.
All other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of
their respective owners.