Re: *** draft 3 - press release ***

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 12:57:35 -0500 (EST)

Charles Cazabon writes:
> Albert D. Cahalan <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> wrote:

>> I had that idea too, but grabbed a different quote. I'm not sure
>> if it is better or worse, but at least it avoids "UNIX". Besides
>> being a dead legacy operating system, UNIX is a trademark licenced
>> exclusively through The Open Group -- or whatever.
>
> However, the new quote you have inserted is _extremely_ opaque for
> anyone who isn't technically inclined. I think the previous quote
> was much better in this respect; it may need a little cleaning up,
> but it got the point across in a clearer fashion.

OK, anything else good?

That "UNIX" term is very negative. People often associate it with
SCO OpenServer, Wyse terminals, and 60 people on a 386. The UNIX
that people know is just awful. It looks something like this:

# less foo
sh: command not found
# more foo
sh: command not found
# emacs foo
sh: command not found
# ed foo
0
help
?
quit
?
exit
?
DIE!!!!!!!!!!
?

Linux needs to be seen as an OS all by itself, not just another
crummy UNIX clone. Every MSCE knows that UNIX is a legacy operating
system. No problem, Linux is not UNIX. Linux is new! fun! cool!!!
Most importantly, Linux is alive.

> Other major comment:
>
>> Linux is a secure network operating system for demanding users.
>> It interoperates well with a wide variety of other systems.
>> Linux takes advantage of modern PC and PowerMac hardware and gives
>> new life to older 486-based computers. With Euro support and
>> Y2K compliance, Linux is ready for the next millennium.
>
> We're back to "Linux only runs on PCs and Macs".

Maybe UltraSPARC is worth mentioning, since it is a new feature.
Keep in mind that normal people just won't be interested.
Your list of processor types is confusing technical jargon to them.
ARM, MIPS, and 680x0 are definitely not good to mention.
One has to draw the line somewhere.