Re: [patch] NEW: arca-vm-21, swapout via shrink_mmap using PG_dirty

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:22:57 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> Also you Kelle, could you try my new arca-vm-24 on your 16Mbyte machine? I
> think that you'll be very happy ;).
>
> Note, arca-vm-24 is tunable:

Ehmmm, ohoh, I did a little mistake in arca-vm-24 that was causing a
lockup under heavy swapping ;) (I was still decrementing counter in the
grow_freeable() while loop...)

So I diffed a fixed arca-vm-25 that rocks here. It's against pre-8.gz in
testing. This new one should be really safe (and pre8 is also fixing also
the swapout deadlock making the semaphores recursive). Give me comments if
you'll try it. arca-vm-24/25 still seems far better than anything tried
before here. I don't think I could do something better than it for 2.2.

ftp://e-mind.com/pub/linux/kernel-patches/2.2.0-pre8testing-arca-VM-25.gz

Andrea Arcangeli