Re: NTFS directory read lockup

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:14:33 +0000

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 06:13:16AM -0500, Joseph M . Malicki wrote:

> Thanks!... I'll make a patch and submit it to Martin to check for a few
> ntfs_malloc==NULL's... but since length is an int and its printing it as an %lu,
> this could be a problem anyway...

That was just me being lazy, sizeof(int) should equal sizeof(unsigned long) on
my architecture (Cyrix 686MX PR233).

> But this brings to question whether kmalloc could have problems.
> I'll try to look at that and see if i can figure out anything....

My current line of thought is that maybe there is a memory leak somewhere -
probably in ntfs but perhaps not - that is causing the kernel to legitimately
run out of memory. Is there a limit to the amount of memory the kernel may
allocate, do you know? (I'm reading through the mm/slab.c stuff to try and
quickly educate myself :)

Cheers,
Steve