Re: Linux and physical memory

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:17:33 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Max wrote:

> I wasn't talking about a pageable kernel, but about unmapping unused memory
> from kernel address space...

It would be complex and it would kill completly performances. Right now
the kernel code and static data is mapped using 4mbyte page tables with
the PAGE_GLOBAL flag, that way the page table for the kernel are never
invalidated even if the %cr3 pgd pointer change.

> Maybe I missed something really simple that shows this can't be done,
> but in this case I'd like an explanation.

I think you missed the performances point of view ;).

Andrea Arcangeli