Re: Adding checkpointing API to Linux kernel

Alexander Kjeldaas (astor@guardian.no)
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:46:09 +0100

On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 12:19:21AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > shifted again and again. The replayer needs a table of every system call
> > and how it affects memory, and that table needs more entries every week
> > (thanks to ioctl). So I have a great demo, if you have 1.3.42 kernel
> > headers to compile it against.
>
> This is something I've been pondering - strace has the same problems - it
> does suggest their should be a single good syscall/ioctl definition somewhere

And from time to time, security issues regarding ioctls that are not
checking for privileges when they should are found. A central
ioctl-directory is a good place to have privilege information too.

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
 http://www.guardian.no/