Re: Draft6

Kurt Garloff (K.Garloff@ping.de)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 01:03:18 +0100

I agree on most of your comments. Just to comment on two of them:

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 09:39:55AM -0500, jmm@raleigh.ibm.com wrote:
> - "supporting up to 64-bit processor systems"
>
> just wrong... gotta drop the "-bit" part... any OS (just about) can run
> on 64-bit processors, we want ppl to know we can run on 64 different
> processors in one machine... a huge difference :)

I don't know if the author wanted to stress, that Linux, unlike NT, is able
to properly support 64bit processors or if he refered to SMP capabilities.

> - "With compatibility for BSD and Windows NT filesystems"
>
> may dishonestly imply r/w capability to NTFS (or is that a new feature?)
> the original phrasing including the "read" capability was better, unless
> this phrase is meant to refer to samba as the upgrade path

>From linux/fs/Config.in:
tristate 'NTFS filesystem support (read only)' CONFIG_NTFS_FS
if [ "$CONFIG_NTFS_FS" != "n" -a "$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL" = "y" ]; then
bool ' NTFS read-write support (experimental)' CONFIG_NTFS_RW
fi

AFAIK, it really works, so the "experimental" rather means that it's not
tested to a degree we want filesystems to be tested and that it was not made
by studying internal NTFS docu, as it was not provided by M$.

Regards,

--
Kurt Garloff <kurt@garloff.de>                           [Dortmund, FRG]
Plasma physics, high perf. computing              [Linux-ix86,-axp, DUX]