Re: That whole Netscape problem...

Mark Gray (markgray@iago.nac.net)
21 Jan 1999 06:01:33 -0500

JSAVAGE@POMONA.EDU writes:

> I don't know if this helps, but I get the netscape (4.0.7) crashes on both
> Linux 2.0.36 (stock RH 5.2 + X 3.3.3) and on some SGI O2s in a school lab. I
> find that if I run netscape long enough, I will eventually get the crash, but
> having multiple windows open causes it to happen more quickly. I'm not using
> netscape for mail or news, only as a browser, and my Linux box is not even
> connected to the internet, so I can get the crash just accessing files on my
> hd.
>
> Jeremiah Savage

I find that if I: remember to empty the disk cache often, and run a
nameserver on my lan, that netscape 4.5 is rock solid. It seems to
thrash badly whenever the disk cache starts to get full, or when
dns-helper has trouble using my ISP's nameserver (which is often
enough to make a caching nameserver a necessity for everything else as
well.) It does not crash in either case, it just starts eating as
much processor time as it can get its hands on until I kill it. Since
I started emptying the cache, I have had no trouble whatsoever.

Hope this helps.