Re: IDE-SCSI only ; pre9, pre8 pre7ac7 all lock up on SCSI detection

Gadi Oxman (gadio@netvision.net.il)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 07:50:30 +0200 (IST)

Hi,

This points to a potential problem when a low-level SCSI driver calls
scsi_done() with DID_ERROR return code from within the queue() function.

And in addition, as I commented several times, ignoring multiple
luns in ide-scsi:

- Breaks multi-lun ATAPI devices such as PD-CD drives.

- Is incorrect in the first place and just hides the
problem -- the bug which causes the oops with the HP 8100
is most likely deep in the 2.1.x SCSI subsystem error
recovery code for host adapters which don't queue a
SCSI request sense command themself rather than in the
ide-scsi low level driver code, as the problem doesn't
seem to occur with 2.0.x. It is harder to find and fix, but it
is the direction we should be aiming at; fixing problems at
their source, not hiding them under an incorrect fix, as they
will likely surface up in another variant in the future.

Gadi