Re: error in sd.c

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 02:01:28 +0100

On Jan 21, Guest section DW wrote:

> From: "Niki W. Waibel" <niki.waibel@gmx.net>

> The 2nd value is wrong!
> 8,715MB are 8.5GB - and not 8.7GB!!!
>
> We had this entire discussion a few weeks ago, and
> you can read all about it in the archives.

please read this thread again yourself and try to separate facts from advocacy...

> You are wrong.
> 8715 MB is precisely 8.715 GB.

which gives absolutely no additional or relevant information when printing
both values with only shifting the decimal point

do you realize that in your example and kernel output it is

1 MB == 1024 * 1024
1 GB == 1024 * 1024 * 1000 == 1000 MB
^^^^

and so far I haven't seen any reasonable argument why for GBs we're mixing
powers of 2 and powers of 10, whereas MBs are just powers of 2...

> Probably I wouldnt have answered but in the meantime
> I encountered a few more data points:
>
> - Not only is G = 10^9 the SI standard, also the IEEE
> decided that 1 GB = 10^9 B, that is, the SI standard
> must (by IEEE compliant engineers) also be used w.r.t.
> computer memories.
>
> - There is a proposal for a name and prefix notation
> for the binary 2^20, 2^30 etc, namely Mi, Gi etc.
> Thus, if you want to show off as a real hacker that
> cannot be bothered with this decimal stuff, and you just
> bought a 17 GB disk then you can call it a 15.8 GiB disk.
> See for example, http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html .

this all doesn't exaplain why for GB numbers we mix 1024 and 1000,
giving twice the same digits with only decimal point shifted.

if just makes no sense and gives no new information, the 2nd value
should be based on either all powers of 10 or powers of 2 -- I'd vote
for the latter (and tried to provice a fix for this for years now:-(

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\