Re: That whole Netscape problem...

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 06:16:00 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Alessandro Suardi wrote:

> Neil Conway wrote:
> The SIGALRM loop happens here as well, only thing I noticed it _seems_ to
> happen when one of the windows attempts a TCP connection to a site which
> [don't kill me, I have no knowledge of a TCP connection handshaking phase]
> isn't quite fast in responding and netstat -tn shows the state as SYN_SENT.

The same happens on Solaris (2.5 and 2.6). There are two kinds of hangs:
if you are lucky the bastard just sleeps forever and ignores X (i.e.
doesn't notice that session is closed). Otherwise it's damn busy (load+=1)
tries to connect to site. Again, ignores X completely. It sucks since
different users leave new and new copies of this turdlet until the system
chokes.

It's not Linux-specific. From my point of view the thing is buggy beyond
repair. Anyway, it is *banned* on my boxen. Period. Use lynx, opera,
whatever. As for the cron-based, erm, solutions - sorry, the only working
one will be to remove sucker's binary, send a nastygram to luser who
brought it in and terminate account on second offence. FWIC it is an
equivalent of IRC bots. Sad that same can't be done on Suns in Uni. Sure,
dean and other big bosses don't have to *go* *and* *fscking* *reboot* the
box since it's brought to the point where it doesn't accept telnet.
Sheesh...