Re: *** Draft 6 - Press Release ***

Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:46:45 +0000

Kyle R. Rose wrote:
> > and Y2K compliance, Linux is ready for the next millennium.
>
> I still have problems with Y2K crap, but if that's what people wanna
> hear....

You and I know the kernel has been Y2K complient forever.

But to be fair, Linux (as a whole, especially including the GNU utils)
was not _audited_ for Y2K compliance until last year.

So it makes sense to claim Y2K now. Even though it is not really to do
with the kernel, which has always been Y2K compliant as far as I know.

[Related - does Linux work around BIOSes and/or hardware clocks that
don't roll over the century at Y2K? It will be bad if lots of PCs
are powered down on Dec 31st, powered up on Jan 1st, and the Linux ones
are the ones reporting Jan 01, 1900 while the MS ones get the time right].

> > and cost-effective Internet groups.
>
> Definte "internet group" for me.

I prefer Internet. It's a big and important thing, worth drawing the eye to.

> > Linux makes over 25 percent of all web servers
> > work,
>
> This is very awkward sounding. I've heard statements like it before,
> but I don't necessarily think this is the best way to do it. How
> about "25 percent of all web sites run on Linux servers" or something
> to that effect.

Agreed it is awkward sounding. But many web servers would probably not
exist without Linux -- it really does enable some applications. I can't
think of a better phrase than yours though.

> > In a competitive examination of Linux conducted by Microsoft Corporation,
> > Vinod Valloppillil writes that Linux is "Trusted in mission criticial
> > environments. Linux has been deployed in mission critical, commercial
> > environments with an excellent pool of public testimonials." He or his
> > coauther Josh Cohen also state that Linux "is trusted in mission critical
> > applications, and - due to it's open source code - has a long term
> > credibility which exceeds many other competitive OS's."
>
> Ugh... too many "mission critical"'s. And get rid of "He or his coauther
> [sic]." Besides spelling "author" in a nonstandard way, this sounds really
> awkward. I would simply get rid of the first quote entirely.
>

> When two people write an article, you refer to _both_ of them as
> having written it, not either. Both are responsible for the entire
> article, so you assume they collaborated on every word.

Agreed 100%.

Trim the second quote to Linux, "due to it's open source code - has a
long term credibility which exceeds many other competitive OS's."

Spell "author" right.

You can trim the odd word here or there, too:

In a competitive examination, Vinod Valloppillil and Josh Cohen of
Microsoft Corporation write that Linux is "Trusted in mission
criticial environments. Linux has been deployed in mission critical,
commercial environments with an excellent pool of public
testimonials." They also state that Linux "is trusted in mission
critical applications, and - due to it's open source code - has a long
term credibility which exceeds many other competitive OS's."

[1] See <Halloween URL>.

(ESR -- make sure the Halloween page has a hit counter :-)

If the Microsoft report is referred to by URL, and we have suits/press
reading this press release, it might be better to point to the report
_without_ ESR's annotations, or to a punchy article about the report
which has a link to ESR's page.

> > "I'm no longer nervous talking to enterprise customers about Linux,"
> > John Paul, Senior Vice President at Netscape Communications, told Wired.
>
> I like this a lot.

Good, isn't it?

-- Jamie