Re: Should raw I/O be added to the kernel?

Jason Froebe (jfroebe@sybase.com)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:31:53 -0600

--------------0628198DCD88BA7F985ED719

Hi,

"Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:

> Interesting to hear you say this, since that is _precisely_ what you get
> if you are running a large DB like Oracle or Informix on raw devices.
> All raw devices are _necessarily_ synchronous, and yet these devices are
> suggested as a means of improving performance.

NO! Not to improve performance but to improve recoverability of databases.
One will get 2 - 3 times better performance on a filesystem but we can't
guarantee that the write has been completed.

Jason

--------------0628198DCD88BA7F985ED719

begin:vcard
n:Froebe;Jason
tel;fax:773-864-7288
tel;work:1-800-8SYBASE
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.sybase.com
org:Sybase, Inc.;Technical Support
adr:;;8755 W. Higgins Road Suite 1000 ;Chicago;IL;60631;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:jfroebe@sybase.com
title:Technical Support Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;20256