Re: Setting terminal baud-rate.

Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:01:08 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:12:57 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
>
> Using version 2.1.131, I cannot set the baud rate of a terminal
> to a speed higher than 38400 baud without cheating and using the
> `setserial spd_hi` function. This function now results in a
> warning message that it has been deprecated.

[SNIPPED termbits.h]

> What version of libc do you have on your machine, and what application
> and what version are you using to set the speed? Furthermore, how are
> you measuring the speed?

I am using a fairly recent version of glibc. I'm directly making
an ioctl(TCSETS, &struct_termios) with the above shown parameters
set.

There are no errors. A connected modem works fine. However, this
is a long-used call-back program which runs fine at speeds at and
below 38400. However when I set the speed to higher values, I noted
that the modem would only connect at 1200 baud!

Therefore I got out my scope and timed it. (cat /dev/zero /dev/modem).
I measured the time between start-bits (zeros are only start-bits).
Assuming 10-bits/baud (1 stop, 1 start, and 8 data), the speeds are
as shown. Everything works fine if I use 38400 and set the SPD flag
with setserial.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.131 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
Wisdom : It's not a Y2K problem. It's a Y2Day problem.