Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Linux Kernel constraints!

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 06:33:03 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, pleXus wrote:

> Can someone more knowledgeable explain to me whether or not the KERNEL runs
> on more than one processor.. I am curious, because that would be
> interesting to hear.

It does. Kernel is not a separate process and system call is
served on the same processor where the process runs. What the original
article probably refered to is the kernel_lock. It doesn't cover
everything, so saying that there can't be two processors actually running
in the kernel mode is wrong. But it still covers too many places in the
kernel. Bottom halves are SMP-safe, so they may run on *all* processors
simultaneously.