Re: User vs. Kernel (was: To be smug, or not to be smug, that is , the question)

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 11:35:46 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Jon M. Taylor writes:
> > [gone]

> > Right again. What will happen is that there will continue to be
> > a shakeout in the NGOS field, and one or two of the designs will absorb
> > the good features of the others and come out on top. If they proive
> > clear and present benefits, they will be used as long as porting apps
> > is not that difficult.
>
> Most designs are not serious about performance, compatibility,
> and real-time. Very few designs are serious about security and
> persistent system image.

Oh my God! Someone replied with real, substantiative discussion
instead of flames! I don't know if I am going to be able to cope.

[ Good points snipped ]

Thanks for the feedback, Albert. I appreciate it. Unfortunately,
the thought that I might recieve more flames on this topic keeps me from
wanting to discuss it any further on this list. I'm sorry I ever posted
anything in the first place.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'