Re: Possible race in fork()

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:29:53 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Tom Eastep wrote:

> Dick,
>
> "Richard B. Johnson" wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> > On a system at home I had a consitant problem trying to set the
> > terminal speed after a fork(). It was traced to the fact that
> > a termios structure, set by the parent, was being corrupted during
> > the fork().
> >
> > I have written a test program that shows this problem without using
> > any termios stuff, just malloc()ed memory. The problem does not
> > occur with a machine here at work (same CPUs, same CPU board), but
> > 128Mb of memory. Both are dual pentium 400MHz SMP machines.
> >

> I just ran your program on my SMP PPro 150 with both 32mb and 128mb.
> Runs fine in both cases.
>
> -Tom

Yes, it's very strange. It runs on the 3 SMP machines I have here at
work. I think it's not the buffers that are getting corrupted, but
the pointers (on the stack). I will print their addresses when the
problem occurs, when I get home from work.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.131 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
Wisdom : It's not a Y2K problem. It's a Y2Day problem.