Re: serious MM problem with pre8,9 - vmstat stuck in D state

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:51:04 -0500 (EST)

Stephen C. Tweedie writes:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:33:05 -0500 (EST), David Mansfield <david@cobite.com> said:

>> Additionally, ps and killall also hang in D state reading from proc.
>
> This is a side-effect of extra locking introduced into procfs to
> safeguard certain operations against memory corruption.

Doesn't that strike you as a Very Bad Thing? The tools we might use
to look for a problem lock up because of the problem.

Could there be a short timeout added? (such as HZ/100 jiffies)