Re: ESS 1688 DMA prob with 2.2.0pre9?

Jeff Rose (jrose@elug.org)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:33:23 +0000

Panu Matilainen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sounds kind of familiar... have you checked what 'cat /proc/sound'
> says - the detection scheme of ESS-chips as been changed recently.
> In the 2.0-series all ESS-chips were detected and treated as 1688
> but now the driver is trying to really find out what's in there.
>
> I've got this ES1688 which get's detected (according to ESS-tech's
> own detection cheme) as ES1888 and we've been trying to figure
> it out: Rolf Fokkens is the one who's figuring and I'm just testing :)
>
> This just might be related..

Yes, I've noticed some prompting that 2.2.0pre9 thought I
had a ES1888 but I KNOW I have the older 1688. When I
recompiled
2.2.0pre9 with sound and 100% SB as MODULES, the ran sndconfig
later, I got 'some' sound playing with all the various DMA,
IRQ, etc options both with all ESSxxxx sndconfig options and
sound blaster. Same thing, bad, choppy sound & longer sound
files, esp. *.wav's would not complete and I get:

Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

But I reboot right back to 2.0.36 and all is perfect!

Can't wait to see wherein the problem lies: kernel, module(s)
or SHOULD there (or whereis) be a DSP_BUFFSIZE= as in 2.0.36?
Kinda seems like in 2.2.0pre9 sound bites are _not_ being
buffered properly?

Hope this was at least .0000001% useful???

Jeff