Re: User vs. Kernel (was: To be smug, or not to be smug, that is , the question)

doctor@fruitbat.org
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:58:31 -0800 (PST)

Richard Gooch said ...

> > > In userland, you can't support message queues in select() like AIX can.
> > Im amazed people stil use them, they are a classic example of retrofitting
> > somethng un-needed onto unix without the people at the time thinking what
> > they were doing.
> Agreed! What the hell is wrong with a pipe/socketpair anyway? It fits
> right in there in the everything-is-a-file model. Message queues don't.

So? What's wrong with that? Shared memory isn't a file. Semaphores
aren't files? Neither are message queues and a whole slew of other
things that aren't files. They all have their uses. Not everthing has
to be a file. I've done a number of small projects where we used message
queues specifically because of the message typing attribute. What's your
problem?

--
Peter A. Castro (doctor@fruitbat.org) or (pcastro@us.oracle.com)