Re: Big Fix for 2.2.1

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:16:33 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Gerard Roudier wrote:

> I suggest to get rid of the bogus readX/writeX stuff in drivers that
> know what they are doing, until 2.3, as follows:

What?

The "bogus" stuff is correct. That's how readX/writeX were _designed_ to
work. The design was the correct one: make it easy to port old drivers to
new architectures - that was what the thing was done for in the first
place.

It's the _new_ restrictions that people want to have that are bogus, and
they are stuff that will wait for 2.3.x. Changing code for 2.2.x is not an
option.

Linus