Re: The Linux 64 GiB Limit - was: Re: oops! Should be fdisk broken?

Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:54:55 +0100 (MET)

From: Dominik Kubla <dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de>

On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 02:28:19PM +0100, Guest section DW wrote:
> From: DAVID BALAZIC <david.balazic@uni-mb.si>
>
> About this geometry mess:
> Is there a reason why not to use sector addressing and avoid ALL troubles ?
> Except "backweird compatroubleity" off-course.
>
> It will be required at least as long as there still exist people
> using DOS or Windows * with the old partition types (1,4,5,6)
> who want to have Linux on the same system.

Ok. So let's use sector addressing by default and have a DOS-compatibility
mode which should be run-time compatible. If the kernel detects the presence

Oh, please - stop this.

The geometry problem is the problem: what values for C/H/S
should the HDIO_GETGEO ioctl return?

It is completely unrelated to sector addressing.
But we need the values for C/H/S that BIOS or DOS will use on the disk.