Re: Big Fix for 2.2.1

Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:19:15 -0800 (PST)

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 23:38:07 +0000 (GMT)

> That identity makes no sense anyway. Not every "phys" address has a
> corresponding "virt" address. In my opinion, phys_to_virt should be
> removed, and the few drivers that use it changed to work properly.

phys_to_virt has uses in some cases. Consider the situation where a driver
posts you back the physical address of a kernel message buffer it has filled
in. But in general yes you are right.

Actually, it's bus_to_virt rather than phys_to_virt and in fact bus_to_virt is
used for precisely this reason in the BusLogic driver. The host adapter writes
CCB *bus* addresses into incoming mailboxes. I commented about the
phys_to_virt/virt_to_phys mapping issues since those are where the real work
takes place in the macros.

Leonard