Re: Doors

Jason Lango (jal@rampant.org)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:26:24 -0800 (PST)

Alan Cox writes:
> And scheduled to be dropped according to the docs 8)

Which documentation are you referring to? I haven't heard any mention
of Sun depricating the doors interfaces, although the only official
documentation of that interface that I've seen are the man pages (not
counting an ancient Sun Dev News article).

Matthew J. Brown writes:
> AFAIR not so much scheduled to be dropped as declared as 'we may
> change this; don't use it! this is only for internal Sun programs!'

Solaris 2.5 didn't document the doors interfaces, aside from the cute
"you might have seen this using truss" man pages (are these the ones
you're talking about?). The Solaris 2.6 and (2.)7 man pages have
enough detail to, well... write a compatible version for Linux.

One might easily be led to believe that the interface might change
based on the "Stability: Evolving" note at the bottom of the man
pages, however people that I've talked to at Sun have told me
(unofficially) that the interface is not likely to change. This leads
me to believe that Sun is essentially a stodgy company (and therefore
the interface is to be trusted). Hey, is this mic on? ;-)

In all seriousness, Sun has put quite a bit of development effort into
using doors for various system services, e.g. syslog, nscd, keyserv,
libthread, etc. I doubt that the interface will go away any time
soon. (Plus, of course, the doors interface is pretty cool and
tunable, as the paper on my web site will tell you. ;-)

- J