Re: kernel-2.2.0

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:00:45 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, H. Jia wrote:

> I downloded and compiled the new linux kernel v2.2.0 successfully. But
> when I reboot my machine with the new kenel (on a flopy disk, generated by
> make zdisk command), the booting process stops at the following message:
>
> kernel panic: VFS: Could nor mount root fs...

You probably compiled one of the needed drivers or filesystems
as a module (which cannot be loaded because the FS isn't mounted).

You have to make sure that at least the harddisk driver and
ex2fs are compiled in, otherwise you don't have enough
drivers to completely start up the system...

Rik -- If a Microsoft product fails, who do you sue?