Re: VM performance

Nimrod Zimerman (zimerman@deskmail.com)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:37:56 +0200

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 04:14:33PM +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> The extra caching _can_ take a lot more room, but in low memory the
> kernel will trim them back: the minimum extra memory overhead is not
> that great. However, you still have to put up with all of the extra
> kernel code required to support them.

The fact that the kernel trims the cache doesn't mean swap isn't used
needlessly. The cache behavior is still much worse than it used to be
(though in 2.2.0, it has greatly improved pre9's behavior).

> 2.2.0 release _should_ be fine. Let me know if you have major
> performance problems relative to 2.0.36.

It isn't fine, not at all. If you want, I can supply some vmstat reports to
show what I mean.

Nimrod