Re: Big Fix for 2.2.1

Andy Poling (andy@globalauctions.com)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:27:12 -0500 (EST)

Note: CC list pruned because it was starting to read like a Whos Who of
Linux. :-)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Linux Lists wrote:
> > and then change everybody who uses "readX/writeX" to legacy addresses to
> > do read_ISA_X/write_ISA_X and then have something like
[...]
> Please don't do that. The Cyclades driver supports both ISA and PCI cards,
> and it follows correctly the current definition, by ioremap'ing addresses
> above 1MB and using readX/writeX for _all_ accesses to MMIO resources (in
> ISA or PCI). Doing this change would mean having to test which card I'm
> accessing _every time_ I do a readX/writeX, which is completelly
> unacceptable (for obvious performance reasons).

Ivan-

Perhaps I'm naive, or missing something really obvious here, but...

Shouldn't you already know which bus-type of card you're accessing long
before you get to the performance-critical code in any driver?

-Andy

Global Auctions
http://www.globalauctions.com