Re: 2.2.0 SECURITY --- narrowing down the problem

Vagn Scott (vagn@IDT.NET)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:17:20 -0500

Max <max@Linuz.sns.it> wrote:
> I found a way to crash 2.2.0 that looks *very* related...
> I wrote a tiny program in assembler. If linked normally, it works
> (massaging the ELF section permissions to mmap it read/write)
> If linked with -Ttext 0xbffff054, the machine reboots *EVEN* if the program
> is executed as normal user.

Confirmed. I ran the modunload program as a normal user and the system
rebooted immediately.

my system:

==================================
/proc/cpuinfo
----------------------------------
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 1
model name : Pentium Pro
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 149.691591
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : yes
f00f_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov
bogomips : 149.09

==================================
/proc/version
----------------------------------
Linux version 2.2.0ac1 (root@ibsen) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #1 Tue Jan 26
22:32:17 EST 1999

OFFTOPIC: On the previous boot *one* filesystem fsck'd due to reaching
the mount count limit, and I knew on the next reboot some 8G was going
to get checked. That happened on this test. Wheee! I got a freebie!

--
         _~|__
   >@   (vagn(     /
    \`-ooooooooo-'/