Re: My wishlist for 2.3.0 (hope Linus doesn't mind)

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:18:20 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

> Since the topic has come up, I thought I'd publish my wishlist
> for 2.3.0:
>
> (1) Fix all serious known bugs in 2.2.X before forking 2.3.0.
> (2) Fix serious bugs 2.2.X reported from the field before forking 2.3.0.
> (3) Write more documentation in the Documentation/ directory for things
> that commonly confuse people before forking 2.3.0.
> (4) Merge some more of the arch/ code back in before forking 2.3.0.
(5) Absorb non-intrusive patches that fix annoying but non-critical
bugs (from 2.2.5 onwards?).

> I won't mind if Linus allocates N months on 2.2.X fixes, stability
> is good, even if it's a grind to get there.

4 to 5 months should probably be enough. Until that time
the really bleeding edge people can probably survive on
loose patches that are floating around everywhere.
(like -ac, -arca, Richard's devfs, ReiserFS, dtfs, my
stuff once I get the time, etc...)

Rik -- If a Microsoft product fails, who do you sue?