Re: Network Aliasing Module missing in 2.2.x ?

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
29 Jan 1999 17:21:15 +0100

In article <36B0B42F.A18CC05D@feist.com>,
rjflory@feist.com (Ron Flory) writes:
> hi-
> A buddy and I have noticed that network IP aliasing seems to have
> disappeared in 2.2.

> The Tk kernel config script and master .config files still reference
> this very important feature (CONFIG_IP_ALIAS and CONFIG_NET_ALIAS), but
> ip_alias.c is gone from the source and makefiles.

> Is this intentional? IP aliasing is a vital feature for machines such
> as our plant gateway/nameserver, life would be -very- awkward without
> this networking option...

It isn't a module anymore. CONFIG_IP_ALIAS controls only a few bytes of
additional 2.0.0 compatibility code now (actually with a soon to be released
new nettools it will be 100% obsolete). A kernel module takes at least one
page to load (4KB), so it would be a serious waste of memory to dynamically
load that code as a module. Just compile always in.

-Andi