Re: proper place to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 15:05:35 +1100

Michael Loftis writes:

Did you read the FAQ which is referenced at the bottom of each and
every message from linux-kernel? It discusses the issue and why things
won't change.

> Perhaps I need to re-iterate the problem...
>
> I'm not concerned about speed issues nor other issues... Simple the huge
> footprint the kernel has. Many people (like myself) run Linux on small
> systems where popping open a 40MB tarball would overfill the disks. And
> even if you 'clean out' stuff manually you'll probably not have enough
> space to compile it and you run the risk of messing up the kernel...
[...]
> As you can see there's no way Linux could be compiled. This system will be
> effectively stuck at 2.0.35 forever.

No, you compile your kernel on a decent machine. Or get a bigger
disc. Or download a precompiled kernel from one of the popular
distributions. People compiling kernels are expected to have plenty of
disc space. Think of it as an entry requirement. Don't expect it to
change.

Regards,

Richard....