Re: Sound: DMA (output) timed out -IRQ/DRQ config error?

Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:10:29 -0500 (EST)

Jeff Rose enscribed thusly:

> > From: Benjamin Redelings I <bredelin@ucsd.edu>
> > Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:19:52 -0800
> > Subject: [2.2.1 bug?] Sound: DMA (output) timed out (sound is SB16)

> > Hi, I am getting this message when I scroll large windows in X while
> > playing sound:

> > kernel: Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

> That's why I have yet to run 2.2.0pre9 or 2.2.1 on my RH 5.2
> system, as I have a ESS1688 that works perfectly under 2.0.*
> but under the newer 2.2.* I always seem to get (esp. whith
> longer
> .wav formats):

> Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

> Truly, I have played with tens of combinations all resulting
> in the same above output (and I _FEEL_ it is a BUFFERing issue;
> as the old kernel configs showed a DSP_BUFFSIZE=65536 as a
> tweakable option...but I am obviously not a hacker!).

This was driving me nuts (ok, ok - short putt) until I saw some
remark about using sndconfig. I had tried different combinations of
esstype=????, irq=??, and dma=?? and had not gotten anything to work. When
I ran sndconfig, it modified my /etc/conf.modules file with the following
sb line:

options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=0 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x300

That worked! The only reak difference between that and all of the
options combinations that failed was the "dma=0" option! Everything else
was the same as the combinations that failed. Haven't had a single problem
since!

Obviously, I have the sound system compiled as a module... :-)

> Are we the _ONLY TWO_ having this problem? I'm going
> through the source docs...nothing yet...

Try running sndconfig and see what it has to say about your setup.

> Jeff Rose

Mike

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com