Re: bloat thread

Holger Dietze (holger.dietze@advis.de)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 22:39:35 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

"pacman" <pacman-kernel@cqc.com> wrote:
> + Ability to build from sources located on a readonly NFS mount, so the
> target machine only needs to hold its .o's. Maybe you can already do this
> with a symlink tree. Has anybody tried it? If it worked, then all we'd need
> would be a group of public untarred NFS exported source trees.

Tried it on a 386 box with 110MB HD two years ago (2.0.x). I made the
necessary symlinks by hand until the compilation errors about missing
files disappeared. I can't remember wether I only did the config stage
or left the box compiling over night. The bottleneck was definitely
not the LAN or the server, but the limited RAM (5MB) and slow HD of
that box.

I can't check at the moment, according to my last infos that box has
been put out of service.

Holger

---
Holger Dietze
email: holger.dietze@advis.de
"The more data I punch in this card, the lighter it becomes, and the
lower the mailing cost."
                -- Stan Kelly-Bootle, "The Devil's DP Dictionary"