Re: proper place to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?

Marek Habersack (grendel@vip.net.pl)
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 01:47:52 +0100 (EET)

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Lars G. T. Joergensen wrote:

> > > Couldn't the kernel be split up into a server kernel and workstation
> > > kernel?
> >
> > Define what part of the kernel is a server kernel and what part of
> > the kernel is a workstation kernel. I don't find those distinctions anywhere
> > in the kernel.
>
> No sound, no radio, no video for linux, no strange exotic devices...
Certain drivers which seem strange to you are every day's bread for somebody
else out there.

> I don't know exactly I just know that 2.0.36 was ~7Mb and 2.2.0 is ~12Mb
> Theres got to be something in there or else the docs just when out the
> roof....:)
Well, of course there is. Just read the list of supported hardware, file
systems etc. - it'll show you clearly where it got almost doubled.

regards,
marek