Re: proper place to discuss kernel 'bloatedness'?

Marek Habersack (grendel@vip.net.pl)
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 02:38:38 +0100 (EET)

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

> > changed files.
> > It looks nice in theory, but would probably require creating a protocol to
> > serve the config submissions and retrieval of the required files.
>
> If you are OK with local compiles it can be trivially done via
> CVS and skeleton Makefiles (think of *BSD ports). Since we have recursive
> make anyway we could do download on demand from make. Actually I think
> that it would be useful for normal setup too - s/download/ln(1)/. I'll
> try to look at it - make definitely spends way too many time checking
> dependencies. Smaller tree would make compiles faster.
> Server-side compiles... ;-/ Nah... gcc is waay too memory-thirsty
> and several clients will suffocate any server. Unless you have a spare
> Beowulf cluster to burn, that is.
No, the thought of server-side compiles never crossed my mind :)). The CVS is
ok for the first download, but every next download would be done as a
diff-only retrieval process. Given the list of the user files, the server
could generate a customized patch for that particular user. The diff
generation stresses the server a bit, but way less that gcc does, so I guess
it would work...

regards,
marek