Re: bloat thread

Nat Lanza (magus@cs.cmu.edu)
01 Feb 1999 11:42:40 -0500

Simon Kenyon <simon@koala.ie> writes:

> why is everyone being so rude to this guy
> all he asked for was a way to build a kernel on his machine, which
> is rather small
> he has a point

It's not just _what_ you ask, it's _how_ you ask it. If he'd showed up
and just asked about building Linux on small machines, that would
probably have been fine. But he didn't. Instead, he started out a bit
hostile; the kernel hadn't grown to include more features, it was
bloated. People didn't just disagree with him, they were
closed-minded.

Yes, some people wnet overboard in their responses. Not everybody did,
however. Really, on a list this size, you have to expect that at least
a few people will flame you for almost every action. The key to
getting anything done over a public mailing list is to learn to ignore
those flames. Apparently he couldn't; that's not really linux-kernel's
problem to deal with.

Instead of dealing with the flames rationally, he lashed out and upset
even more people. That, combined with his whiny "since you upset me I
won't share all the cool code I've read" retort pretty much guaranteed
that he wasn't going to get any useful responses.

He had a useful question, but the way he went about asking it could
have been a lot better.

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs