Re: A router bug?

H.J. Lu (hjl@varesearch.com)
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 09:23:58 -0800 (PST)

> On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, H.J. Lu wrote:
> > My cases are SLIP and T3. Can someone, who is behind a Linux router,
> > please try
> >
> > https://webbroker.waterhouse.com
> >
> > and tell me what you get? Thanks.
>
> playing with MTU isn't the full answer. here is the solution suggested by AK:
>
> on your router, set the slip interface to an MTU of 576. eth0 can be 1500.
> note that i'm testing with my ppp0 set to 576 and gre1 set to 552.
>
> on your LAN machines, eth0 can be 1500 MTU. the catch is:
> route del default ...
> route add default gw <router> mss 576 ...
>
> add the "mss 576" tag. -that- is what fixed it.

I have no control on my SLIP server. Since setting SLIP MTU
to 1500 works for me, I don't want to change it back to 576.
If "mss 576" works, which I doubt, from "man route":

mss M Set the TCP Maximum Segment Size (MSS) for connec-
tions over this route to M bytes. This is normally
used only for fine optimisation of routing setups.
The default is 536.

where 536 < 576, shouldn't the kernel just use MTU on the
gateway for mss? Does it look like a kernel bug?

Thanks.

H.J.