Re: Proxyarp is not working with kernel 2.2.0

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 15:38:23 +0300 (MSK)

In <Pine.LNX.3.96.990202112353.26358A-100000@hurricane.yantar.ru> Denis Chapligin (chollya@yantar.ru) wrote:
DC> Hi

>> > You mean that the proxyarp for single machine will work?
>>
>> Yes. Support for proxy-arp of subnets was removed in 2.1.x kernels long ago
>> (more then half-year for sure; may be year). Since noone complained when this
>> ugly hack was removed I think that there was so little users of this "feature"
>> that chances to get this back is quite low...
DC> I tried to use proxyarp with single machine and it works. But why arp
DC> table is not updated automaticly, as it was with kernel 2.0.36?

What you mean ? When and how rpm table should be updated automatically ?

>> > And is there any patches to get proxyarp support back?
>>
>> Proxyarp IS supported. What about subnets... I'm not seen any but AFAIK it's
>> not so hard. Just noone is interested (me including :-)...
>>
DC> You want to say, that many routers in world(including my) will not be
DC> upgradeable?

-- cut --
In <m107VM1-0007U1C@the-village.bc.nu> Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) wrote:
> (more then half-year for sure; may be year). Since noone complained when this
> ugly hack was removed I think that there was so little users of this "feature"
> that chances to get this back is quite low...

It wasn't simply removed. Proxyarping subnets is very unusual , slows the
general code down and can be done in user space. That makes the entire kernel
case look dubious.

Alan
-- cut --