Re: howto disable auto route setup?

Sam Mortimer (sam@gate.mps.co.uk)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:56:41 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Mike Jagdis wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Sam Mortimer wrote:
> > >Because the ifconfig says that the interface exists on that network
> > >with that address
> > ..and subnet mask!
> Huh? Don't get excited - network is defined by address and mask :-).

yes - and the interface connects to the network

> Read it again. *Out* not *in*. Listening is usually done globally,
> sometimes bound to specific *addresses*, rarely bound to specific
> *interfaces*. That has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

eh? just where are these packets originating from? you've not turned on
ip forwarding already have you?

> IOS is not a general purpose OS though. Your argument appears to
> be that your assumptions are correct because you think it's
> right - even though others do not and can tell you why. Can we
> get back to a discussion of why the current behaviour is inherently
> "right" or not?

i was pondering whether someone might make this point whilst i was out
at lunch! my response is that we are discussing the routing functions of
a general purpose OS. there is no reason why they should work differently
from they way they might on a dedicated router. the router is probably
doing it the right way. would it not makes sense to try to emulate the
routers way of doing things? (it also occurred to that both teltrend's
network iq series routers and bay's nautica products add the directly
attached interfaces routes automatically too)

Cheers,
-Sam.