Re: howto disable auto route setup?

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 22:44:01 +0100 (MET)

Fred Reimer wrote:
> > Because the ifconfig says that the interface exists on that network
> > with that address. It does not say that packets may be routed out
> > through that interface. That is route's job. That is the way most
> > network engineers I know expect things to be.
>
> Explain, please, why you would want to configure IP on an interface if you
> didn't want to "route" out to that local subnet? If you are using another
> protocol, then don't configure IP. But, IIRC all other *nix implementations
> automatically put in a route to the subnet you are defining when you
> ifconfig an interface with an IP address.

I like the control Linux used to give me. I ifconfig up the interface,
the machine starts responding to that IP address. (e.g. for requests
from inside the machine). Once I add the route, I can start using that
IP address from the other machine(s) on that interface.

I regularly have both a token ring connection between two machines,
besides the ethernet connection. I get bothered by the kernel defining
routes that I don't need. My "subnet" is on the ethernet, there is
usually just one other machine on the token ring interface. I have to
remember adding "netmask 255.255.255.255" on the ifconfig line every
time I up the token ring interface.... (which without the netmask
specification could easily be done by hand, but now requires a small
script)

Roger.

*   Never blow in a cat's ear because if you do, usually after three or  *
*   four times, they will bite your lips!  And they don't let go for at  *
*   least a minute. -- Lisa Coburn, age 9